Creating Your Best Diet
Thanks to Amanda from Run to the Finish for the great ideas on how to create a diet that works for you.
Paleo, Vegan, Pescetarian, Raw, Macrobiotic…they all work for some people some of the time. How is this possible? It turns out that when your parents told you “there is no one else like you in the world”, they were right.
Just as we are unique in our talents, we each handle food differently and need to spend a little time experimenting to find what works best for us. How is “works best” defined when it comes to our diet? The right diet will leave you with:
- Abundant energy
- Clear, glowing skin
- Healthy hair and nails
- Good digestion and elimination
- Free of aches and pains
Yes all of that comes from having a digestive system that is working well and part of that is eliminating foods that cause inflammation. In all instances eliminating processed foods and sugars is recommended because most of us do react poorly to these chemicals. Beyond that your friend may thrive on a daily Greek Yogurt while it makes you feel lethargic every afternoon.
Steps for find YOUR best diet:
- Food Journal– Read more abouthow to do a food journal, it’s not a food log of calories, it is a journal of how foods make you feel. You’ll discover that you may do better with 3 large meals rather than 5 smaller ones or that you get a headache the day after you have ice cream.
- Detox– This isn’t about drinking only cayenne pepper spiked water for days. It is about spending a few days eating whole unprocessed foods that are not on the mostcommonly known allergen list to help your body begin to heal and provide you a level playing field for assessing which foods make you feel best.
- Add back and record– Now that you have had a week for your system to clear out, start adding back one food at a time and see how you feel. Follow thesesteps for how to change your patterns with a food log to help you get on track.
- Repeat with patience– We live in a world of immediate gratification, which makes a process like this difficult. But if you are looking for the foods that will create your perfect diet it’s worth the time now to prevent the frustration, weight gain and inflammation caused by simply following someone else’s rules.
Amanda – RunToTheFinish.com
Certified Personal Trainer and Fitness Nutrition Specialist